Wednesday, August 20, 2008

First Day of School... Wah....

Avery started Kindergarten today! She was pretty excited, with a little nervous thrown in, I believe. She got up early (for her-- 7:00!) Got dressed right away (I told ya her Hannah Montana shirt was going to get some wearing!) got herself some cereal.... and then... couldn't eat it. I can tell you with certainty that she did NOT get the "Can't eat when nervous" gene from myself.
The bus wasn't scheduled to arrive until 8:40 (school starts at 9:05) but we were out waiting by 8:25. I'm sure the exuberance towards this will slow down as school becomes normal. Until then, I shall enjoy the respite from "Get up! Hurry up! Eat! Have you packed your lunch? Brushed your teeth? Have your homework? No, you CANNOT wear that! I don't care, you HAVE to comb your hair! That is NOT going to school, toys do not belong at school!" even if it's only for today. Totally off topic here, but look at those impatiens! Aren't they lovely! I've managed to keep them alive all summer!




Hunter let me take his picture, too. He's standing next to his buddy up the street, who happens to be in the *same* class as Hunter again this year. Yep, these two boys are both starting Third Grade this year. And who said Hunter was going to be tall? Whoever that was, you're crazy. Clearly, he's just slightly above average in height. Or something. And he has braces now, too! I'll get a better picture of him up (a close up, even) that shows them in all their green glory.








Avery's friend from the neighborhood was also very glad that Avery was starting school this year. She's a year ahead of Avery, and is planning on showing her the ropes, starting with her first ride to school on the bus. It's nice to have friends who have BTDT, right?








And they're off! The bus stop is at the end of our driveway this year because, apparently, Kindergarteners have to be picked up/dropped off at home. Pretty cool! Let me tell you, it was quiet around here this morning with just Skylar and Kaia (even though they are, arguably, the loudest of the five!) Making lunch for just two kiddos? No problem! We even went to the library AND the store this morning.
Since Avery is in all-day kindergarten, they are doing a phased dismissal for the first three weeks. This week, she gets dismissed at 12:30, and the next two weeks, it's 1:30. After that, she goes all day... for real.

She hasn't been too talkative about her first day, they colored a picture, read a story, blah, blah.
However, there were a few things that she wanted to make sure I was aware of in regards to her first day:

  1. Her new shoes hurt her feet. The nerve!
  2. The girl we met when we dropped of supplies sits at her table!
  3. She ate all of her lunch because she was starving.

So, I guess those first day jitters were over by lunchtime, which is a good thing!!

2 comments:

Tera said...

How sweet! I hope my girls cooperate for "1st day of school" pictures one of these days. Wow, Hunter IS tall! That's how Alex was too...always towering over his classmates.

Brandy said...

Aww! I'm glad Avery had a good 1st day of Kindergarten! I love the idea of the staggered dismissal times...wish Carlisle would do that too. My kids were exhausted at the end of the day--even asking about rest time when we were getting ready for recess!